European Union Sector
Representing freelance interpreters in the EU Institutions since 1969
Based on the AIIC-EU Agreement, the EU Negotiating Delegation represents all freelance interpreters (known as ACIs, or Conference Interpreting Agents) working for the EU sector. The Negotiating Delegation oversees the implementation of the Agreement and maintains regular contacts with the Directorates-General for interpretation of the EU Institutions for this purpose.
The AIIC-EU Agreement applies to ALL ACIs working for the EU institutions, AIIC members and non-members alike.
Evergreen agreement signed in 1969, updated (last update 2010).
- ACI remuneration is linked to the pay scale for officials
- ACIs receive flat-rate travel and compensatory allowances as well as a daily subsistence allowance
- ACIs benefit from an old age/life provident scheme and are covered by sickness and accident insurance on contract days
- ACI working conditions are covered and protected by the Agreement
- ACIs working for the EU institutions can attend training courses and language courses and have access to training scholarships
Institutions and organisations covered
- European Parliament
- European Commission
- Council of the European Union
- Court of Justice of the European Union
- European Economic and Social Committee
- Committee of the Regions of the European Union
- EU Agencies and Bodies
The Negotiating Delegation
- The voice of the EU sector, negotiates the Agreement with the EU institutions
- Elected by all ACIs in the EU sector at a sectoral meeting
- Works with Professional Delegations (ECPD and EPPD), delegating tasks to them and addressing any interinstitutional matters they refer to the Negotiating Delegation
- It is the sole interlocutor in the interinstitutional social dialogue
The European Commission Professional Delegation (ECPD) and the European Parliament Professional Delegation (EPPD)
- Defend and promote the interests of ACIs working for the European Commission and the European Parliament
- Monitor the correct implementation of the AIIC-EU Agreement
- Hold regular meetings with the Commission's DG for Interpretation (DG SCIC) and the Parliament's DG for Logistics and Interpretation (DG LINC) to discuss matters related to the implementation of the Agreement
- Refer interinstitutional matters to the Negotiating Delegation
- Help all ACIs - AIIC members and non-members alike - resolve individual problems (working conditions, payments, travel, assignments)
- Maintain close contact with the Parliament's Staff Interpreters' Delegation (DELINT) and the Commission's Interpreters' Delegation (ID)
The EPPD also maintains and manages the EPPD forum-a communication platform for the Parliament's ACIs.